Now Available - Stories From the American Journey January 23 2024
Men and Women Whose Lives and Deeds Express the Ideals of a Nation
This book is a collection of beloved stories from an author who has spent four decades teaching. These narratives showcase adventurous and talented individuals whose actions and visions embody the nation's ideals. Spanning the breadth of America, these tales highlight those who stood up for justice, championed free thought, innovated, reshaped communities, revolutionized business, or simply showed kindness and support to others.
Among these stories are familiar figures like Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, Booker T. Washington, Thomas Edison, Susan B. Anthony, Theodore Roosevelt, Jane Addams, The Wright Brothers, and Martin Luther King Jr. However, lesser-known heroes also feature prominently:
- Frederick Tudor's daring venture to transport ice to Calcutta
- Dorothea Dix's 10,000-mile journey advocating for the rights of the mentally ill
- Jacob Riis's photographic expose of tenement life
- Lillian Wald's nursing revolution sparked by a child's plight
- The Chinese laborers' monumental role in constructing the Transcontinental Railroad
- The resilience and valor of Japanese-Americans during WWII
- The "Candy Bomber's" acts of kindness in post-war Berlin
- The courageous Little Rock Nine who confronted segregation
The book also delves into pivotal moments that shaped America's character, such as John Adams defending British soldiers after the Boston Massacre, a fortuitous fog that altered the course of the American Revolution, and the transformative impacts of transportation innovations and a devastating factory fire in Manhattan. It recounts the cross-country journeys of early motorists and the Nashville sit-ins led by college students to combat segregation.
These stories are more than historical accounts; they are immersive experiences that bring the past to life. Echoing Alfred North Whitehead's sentiment, they are as vivid and refreshing as if "just drawn out of the sea." This collection aims to inspire and resonate with readers of all ages, reminding us of the enduring spirit and resilience that define the nation.